Promote a positive, compelling, and authentic view of engineering, showcasing the breadth of opportunities.
Why this pledge matters:
The diverse opportunities and different pathways into engineering need to be shared with young people. Young people will encounter consistent messaging about what engineering is and make it a career they can identify with.
The ambition of the pledge:
To showcase to young people the variety of pathways into engineering, the breadth of opportunities and the real-world impact a career in engineering can have.
To meet this pledge you should:
Use imagery throughout your activities that promotes engineering as inclusive and that avoids stereotypes. Make sure the messaging in your activities is informed by audience insight, including information that shows engineering’s diversity in terms of roles, opportunities, and pathways.
Ways you could meet the pledge:
- Use consistent messaging about engineering, relevant to your area of expertise
- When designing your activities use engaging formats to communicate these messages
- Use imagery which is authentic and promotes engineering as inclusive via royalty-free images and guidelines developed by the This is Engineering campaign
- If using your own images, sense-check them against the This is Engineering’s guidelines
- Prepare and train your volunteers so they are confident and able to engage young people with modern engineering, use the STEM Ambassador programme and/or bringing volunteers to the online workshop programme
- Showcase relatable role models that are relevant to young people
Resources that can help you with this pledge: